Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Art of Storytelling

As a writer, I am on a constant quest to perfect the art of story writing and storytelling. This past weekend, however, I had a rare glimpse at a natural storyteller in her element. 

Wanting to entertain my squirmy toddler, my husband's grandmother, Nonna, sang a tale to him. He sat mesmerized for a few moments, but like most toddlers, nothing held him still for very long. 

She had laughed, and told me that she had learned that particular song when she was a young girl helping her mom, as her dad was off at war, and she had three younger siblings to help care for. 

She then went on to tell me stories of her past, and I realized that Nonna had lived an entire lifetime of incredible circumstances, long before we ever knew her as our beloved Nonna. Her memories were recounted like a fairy tale, as she described the many hardships she endured, but also her romance with her valentine, her husband, Valentino. Her eyes would light up when she described some funny moments of local villagers, or some scandalous  gossip that occurred more than 75 years ago. 

I couldn't believe all that she had been through, and while it is not my place to tell her tale, I am forever grateful to her for sharing her memories. Her story is definitely remarkable and she truly knows how to tell a story. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design installed by Custom Blog Designs using stock images by 9lives and 5xinc